Yes, our theme for this year is dreams which means we’re on the hunt for only the most crazy, mind-bending, and utterly unique pieces your mind can conjure. We want to walk through your most creative worlds based on reality or entirely made up with creatures both morbid and fantastical by our side. Give us poems of desires, stories of mischief, scripts of downfalls, and art of wonder or dread. Show us what hopes and fears lie in your imagination.
Submissions are open until October 15th, Publishing September to November
What monsters lurk beneath your bed or claw at the edge of your mind? Is your darkest fear that school project you’ve been procrastinating for weeks or that your brother’s spider will escape in the middle of the night and crawl into your mind, your eyes, your throat? Or maybe it’s finding yourself alone or betrayed by someone close. Whatever it may be. Let us share in your fright and submit to us!
Nightmares can be:
–Scary thrillers with winding twists
–Lucid dream adventures
–Poems entailing your deepest desires
–Dialogue with creeping creatures
–Subconscious fears, horror stories
–Vivid imagery or fantastical worlds
–Mesmerize us with the color of your worlds, your minds, your monsters
–Hypnotize us with complex and intricate art
–Haunt us with memoirs of finally climbing that mountain or falling from the clouds
Do not send:
– Fanfiction or other derivative works
– Illegal confessions
– Unfinished pieces
– Previously published pieces (including self-published pieces)
– Work that intends to harm or shame a group
– Novel length work (see our note below)
– If a content warning is needed make sure it is clearly indicated before the piece
– Censor slurs if needed (when in doubt submit with censors)
– If a piece is explicitly vulgar, submit with caution
Digital art and photography are preferred. If you submit physical art, submit the highest quality scan/image of your artwork that you can. We are willing to work with artists if the piece(s) are accepted.
– Your work will be considered for one or more of the following: website, podcast content, physical printing in our annual lit mag
– Authors who have pieces selected in our annual magazine will receive a contributor copy
— If writing piece is accepted, there will be an option to have a game or author interview featured in our podcast
– Erotica or anything that would earn a rating of R or Mature is a hard sell. So when in doubt, submit
– Length doesn’t matter, it’s how you use it!
– Our normal response time is within two weeks
We welcome both simultaneous submissions, and multiple submissions from the same author. That’s all! Thank you for your interest in submitting to us; If you’re having trouble understanding the theme, check us out on Instagram to see what nightmares means to us and what pieces we hope to see. We’re excited to see your submission!
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
You have the right to remain silenced. If you like being oppressed. Oh wait, you want to know about your author’s rights? Ugh fine.
The Echo Teen Art & Lit Mag is a digital and print publication that publishes to our website weekly and in print once per year. There is no monetary compensation for publication in The Echo at this time, but accepted artists and writers will receive a contributor copy at no cost.
There is no fee required to submit your work, but we’re poor so feel free to send us some bucks if you can. The Echo acquires exclusive first digital and print publication rights. The magazine will be available for purchase in perpetuity. Reprint rights and all other applicable rights revert to the author twelve months after publication.
You can view a sample of our contract here.