Do Not disturb short story contest
Entries are open until October 8th, Winning story published on October 31st
What is that on the corner? A spirit Halloween? Fall is coming and terror is in the air. The Echo is holding its first annual $200-prize short story contest. Send us your nightmares and storie related to the theme: Do Not Disturb.
Do Not Disturb Can Be-
–Scares from behind
–Monsters under a bed
–Creatures in a room
–Frightening hotels and unusual places
–‘The Shining’ vibes
–Goblin Guys who steal left shoes
–People Living in the walls
–Published on Halloween
–Read on ‘The Echo’s Hollow Podcast’
–Illustrated By our artists
–Promoted on the Echo’s Social Media
—Runner-ups will be considered for publication in the upcoming volume of the Echo Magazine
–Must be between 1,500 and 5,000 words
–Author must be between 13-19 years old to enter
Do not send:
– Fanfiction or other derivative works
– Illegal confessions
– Unfinished pieces
– Previously published pieces (including self-published pieces)
– Work that intends to harm or shame a group
– Novel length work (see our note below)
– If a content warning is needed make sure it is clearly indicated before the piece
– Censor slurs if needed (when in doubt submit with censors)
– If a piece is explicitly vulgar, submit with caution
— Art and photography are not being accepted in this contest. Sorry!
– Your work will be considered for one or more of the following: website, podcast content, physical printing in our annual lit mag
– Authors who have pieces selected in our annual magazine will receive a contributor copy
— If writing piece is accepted, there will be an option to have a game or author interview featured in our podcast
– Erotica or anything that would earn a rating of R or Mature is a hard sell. So when in doubt, submit
– Our normal response time is within two weeks
We welcome both simultaneous submissions, and multiple submissions from the same author. That’s all! Thank you for your interest in submitting to us; If you’re having trouble understanding the theme, check us out on Instagram to see what nightmares means to us and what pieces we hope to see. We’re excited to see your submission!
Why even take the time to show us your cool things?
Submitting to The Echo Teen Art and Lit Mag is an opportunity to get your work published into a magazine. Some written pieces will be accompanied by art. Every accepted piece may be featured on our podcast, Echo’s Hollow. Rejected pieces will receive feedback for you to improve your work. See our rejection page for more info about dealing with rejection.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
You have the right to remain silenced. If you like being oppressed. Oh wait, you want to know about your author’s rights? Ugh fine.
The Echo Teen Art & Lit Mag is a digital and print publication that publishes to our website weekly and in print once per year. There is no monetary compensation for publication in The Echo at this time, but accepted artists and writers will receive a contributor copy at no cost.
There is no fee required to submit your work, but we’re poor so feel free to send us some bucks if you can. The Echo acquires exclusive first digital and print publication rights. The magazine will be available for purchase in perpetuity. Reprint rights and all other applicable rights revert to the author twelve months after publication.
You can view a sample of our contract here.